Star of Siam’s Thai Massaman Curry Recipe
This Thai Massaman Curry with Chicken is a really popular dish in the Star of Siam.
1/2lb Chicken fillet cut into small pieces
3 tablespoons whole raw peanuts
4 cups water
1 large potato cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tablespoon of cooking oil
3 tablespoons Masaman Curry Paste – we use Mae Ploy
2 cups of coconut milk Chaokoh Brand
6 whole Thai cardamom seeds cracked and dry roasted
1 inch piece of cinnamon stick dry roasted
2 tablespoons of Thai Fish Sauce we use Squid Brand
1 tablespoon of palm sugar
2 tablespoon of tamarind water
1/4 of large white onion cut into small pieces
1 carrot cut into small pieces
- open the coconut milk and scoop the thick coconut cream from the top and set aside.
- Put 4 cups of water, the chicken pieces and peanuts into a pan and bring them to boil skimming the scum from the surface for about 5 minutes. Lower heat to medium and continue to cook at a low boil uncovered for approx. 1 hour. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Separately cook the potatoes and carrots bringing them to boil.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pan over medium heat, add the curry paste and cook briefly until fragrant stirring constantly. Add the thick coconut cream you set aside and fry until it begins to separate, stirring constantly. Add the boiled chicken pieces and peanuts in its broth and add remainder of coconut milk, fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind, cinnamon stick, potatoes, carrots and onion. Bring to boil continue to keep stirring. Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning with fish sauce, palm sugar and tamarind water to taste. Massaman Curry should be slightly sweet with a very subtle sour note from the tamarind.
- This curry recipe serves 4 people.