White Chocolate and Cardamom cake!
It’s time to get baking because Brenda from Allonby Tea Rooms has shared one of her favourite recipes with us.
White Chocolate and Cardamom cake
- 225g butter softened and extra for greasing.
- 4 eggs beaten.
- 225g caster sugar.
- 225g self-raising flour.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder.
- 12 cardamom pods.
- 50g good quality white chocolate to decorate.
For the icing:
- 100g good quality white chocolate.
- 50g butter softened.
- 75g full fat cream cheese.
- 200g icing sugar sifted.
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
- You will need two 20cm sandwich cake tins. Pre-heat the oven to180 degrees Celsius or gas mark 4. Grease the tins with butter and line the bases with baking paper.
- Place the butter and eggs in the large mixing bowl with the sugar, flour and baking powder. Beat the contents together using an electric mixer.
- On a chopping board, bash the cardamom pods using a rolling pin. Collect the seeds and grind in a pestle and mortar. Next, Stir this into the cake mix and pour the batter into the tins. Then, smooth the top and bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes (Until golden brown and has a spring when touched).
- Allow to cool in the tins for five minutes. Then turn the tin onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
Making the icing:
- Melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl and set over a gently simmering pan of water.
- Then, stir until melted and smooth. Do not allow the chocolate get too hot and set aside to cool.
- Whisk the butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy. The, whisk in ½ the icing sugar and vanilla extract. Next, add the remaining icing sugar and whisk again. Stir in the melted chocolate and chill for around 20 minutes.
- Spread ½ the icing on one sponge and then place the other sponge on top. Use the remaining icing on the top of the cake and grate white chocolate on top.