A little tweak on a Christmas Classic
Boozy Brownie Trifle
A traditional favourite but there’s a few out there that think the classic trifle is a relic of our past. We think that’s a bit harsh and with a few twists the humble dessert certainly has a place at our Christmas table.
- 500ml pot ready-made chilled custard (it’s best to look for one with real vanilla)
- 100g dark chocolate broken into pieces
- 400g shop-bought chocolate brownies (or make your own if you want)
- 3 tablespoons of coffee (mixed with water- not dry)
- 100ml Irish cream liqueur – plus 1 tablespoon extra for soaking the brownies
- 1 pouch of Maltesers
- 500ml double cream
- 25g icing sugar
- Put the custard and chocolate in a saucepan. Gently heat, stirring, until the chocolate has completely melted into the custard. Cover the surface with cling film to stop the custard forming a skin, then cool.
- Sit the brownies in a mug or small bowl and mix together the coffee with the 1 tbsp Irish cream liqueur. Drizzle all over the brownies. Use a rolling pin or saucepan to gently bash the bag of Maltesers a few times to crush a little, then sprinkle about three-quarters over the brownies. Spoon the cooled chocolate custard all over the top, then cover and chill.
- Make the final layer by combining the cream and 100ml Irish cream liqueur in a bowl. Sift over the icing sugar, then whip until soft peaks form. Cover and chill until you’re ready to serve.
- To serve – give the cream a quick mix then spoon on top of the chocolate custard. Scatter over the last few crushed Maltesers to decorate.